As an avid volunteer for humanitarian efforts, I love that M·A·C encourages its employees to volunteer to "break down barriers and build relationships within communities." Over 1,800 M·A·C employees from all over the world, including 40 M·A·C Artistes from Hong Kong, will participate in World AIDS Day as part of the M·A·C AIDS Fund (MAF) initiative.
To date, MAF has raised $228M USD through the sale of M·A·C’s Viva Glam lipstick and lip gloss. I had seen the celebrity-fueled Viva Glam ads but I didn't realize that 100% of M·A·C’s Viva Glam sales price is donated to help support HIV/AIDS organizations working in under-served regions and populations around the world.
That's pretty impressive work, M·A·C!
Help support World AIDS Day this year! Volunteer at a local HIV/AIDS organization or if you don't have the time to spare, go out and get yourself (and all your lip-gloss loving friends) a M·A·C Viva Glam product. Here's what ONE VIVA GLAM purchase can provide to help those living with HIV/AIDS:
- 2 nights of shelter for a homeless person living with HIV/AIDS
- 8 home-delivered meals for a person living with HIV/AIDS who cannot cook for themselves
- 4 HIV tests for newborn babies to determine their HIV status
- Medicine for 5 newborn babies to prevent transmission of HIV from their mothers
- HIV tests for 14 pregnant women
- Monthly transportation to/from medical appointments for a child living with HIV/AIDS
- 1 crisis counseling session for a person living with AIDS who is also struggling with addiction and homelessness
- A six month supply of Omega 3 fish oil to help decrease the inflammation cause by the immune system’s battle against HIV
- 3 nutritious meals for 3 children affected by HIV/AIDS in South Africa
- 254 male condoms to effectively prevent HIV transmission
- 24 female condoms for distribution by local Health Departments to prevent HIV transmission
- 32 safe sex kits that include condoms and lubricant
- 1 rapid oral HIV test
- One year of clean, sterile syringes for an injection drug user to prevent HIV infection
Looking good, feeling good, and now, with M·A·C Viva Glam, DOING good too!
© Connie Hum 2011