Wednesday, August 8, 2012

#TTOT Round-Up: Meeting Strangers

Every Tuesday, it's Travel Talk on Twitter! Each week is a fun, new topic. Join either of the two sessions at 9:30am GMT and 9:30pm GMT to get in on all the fun travel talk!

Just follow the #TTOT hashtag! 

Here's the round-up of this week's #TTOT on "Meeting Strangers!"

Q1 via What are some of the most unusual circumstances you have made new friends while traveling?
  • : Got stuck in Elevator in Florence with strangers - ended having drinks on the rooftop celebrating our escape
  • : In Lake Titicaca, a young woman called out to me "Are you from Atlanta?" I was surprised. She said she worked at restaurant I often went to
  • : I was reading the Hunger Games in an airport and a woman asked how Katniss was today. Strange but we ended up talking for two hours
  • : I made some brilliant friends while trapped in a hotel during a typhoon in Vietnam. We were there for 4 days so got pretty close 
  • : Always meet at the market! People have a way of bonding over food  
  • : Some of the most interesting people I've met is meeting people in line for the bathroom 
  • : Switched seats with a mom on a flight. The girl in the seat I moved to ended up being one of my best friends
  • : Mostly through CouchSurfing - sleeping on others peoples couches is really bonding 
  • : Twitter is a kinda weird place to make friends, don't you think? 

Q2 via What was your most memorable meeting of random strangers on the road?
  • : Hitch hiked with a fella who said that he had just escaped from jail
  • : Met a guy in Delhi - that night we had dinner at his house and the next day we flew to Kashmir to hike the Himalayas with his family
  • : Getting a ride in an army convoy in Kyrgyzstan. And then stopping for some live shooting practice 
  • : Traveling on a bus in Nepal and sitting next to a guy that lives a few blocks from me in NYC 
  • : Hitchhiking in Iceland, caught rides with a member of Q4U and a former Icelandic Olympian 
  • : I spent a day as a third wheel with a Nepalese couple on their honeymoon, while traveling alone. They were so sweet to include me 
  • : Assaulted some random English speakers in our little Brazilian town because I missed hearing my own language. Made friends 

Q3 via Where is it easiest to make friends with strangers (transport, accommodation, eateries, activities)? 
  • : My favorite is in the most off the beaten path places. We both look at each other and think, you're here too? Instant friendship 
  • : It's easiest to make friends when participating in same activity
  • : Toss up between accommodation and transport. Being in one area with people opens you up to talking
  • : It has to be buses and trains. There's not much else to do and you can only read for so long
  • : You'll make friends in a snap at a hostel The close quarters with other travelers is a guaranteed good time
  • : Transport is easiest to make contact. We're confined to a space and I sometimes feel a bit bored 
  • : Activities are a great to meet other travellers who are interested in the same things as you are 
  • : Accommodation - Always head for the kitchen. Nothing gets people talking like the food they miss from home 

Q4 via What's the kindest thing a stranger has done for you on your travels?
  • : Had 18 hour wait between hotel check out and going to airport. A couple let us nap at their apartment so we didn't have to stay in heat 
  • : A complete stranger at the next table bought us lunch in Paris as a "welcome to the city" gesture. Classy 
  • : Met a girl on a flight to Ecuador. She ended up letting me stay in her home. Her family took care of me while I had altitude sckness 
  • : A Japanese expat in Bangkok noticed I was a complete skytrain noob. She helped me get on and then we spent the entire day together 
  • : I once peeled a guy's sunburned peeling off his back. Secured our friendship for years 
  • : Friend left iPod in a Pushkar guesthouse and realised on the bus. 5 mins of driving and a motorbike speeds past: owner brought her iPod 
  • : Guy in Texas came to me, said "Know what? Jesus told me to give you a hundred bucks." He did
  • : Got lost in Cuba walking through tobacco fields and the farmer invited me to drink coconut water and showed me how they make cigars  
  • : Got pushed down a flight of stairs at nightclub in Bali, hurt my ankle, and a random guy picked me up and carried me home 
  • : I think its a combination of the little things people do (opening doors, translating, directions) all of those are just amazing 

Q5 via What is your "stranger pick-up line"?
  • : Lost, can you help? Big eyes, hair flip... shameless but works every time
  • : I could be the most memorable mistake of your whole trip
  • : Do you speak English?
  • : Where have you come from/where are you going? Pretty safe opening for fellow travellers
  • : "Can I sit here?"  
  • : We don't now each other yet but we should be friends 
  • : "If you had a like button I'd click it."
  • : If it's a local: "Where's your favorite place to eat?" If not, "Where's your favorite place that you've eaten." 
  • : I see the scenery is not the only thing attractive to look at here
  • : The classic "So, where are you from?"
  • : Guess which country I'm from and I'll buy you a drink, guess wrong and you buy me a drink
  • : "I'm Rich"

And there you have it, "Meeting Strangers!"  

Next week's #TTOT topic is: "Best Travel Tips!" Submit your questions HERE!

See you Tuesday at 9:30am and 9:30pm GMT for the next #TTOT!

As always, a HUGE travel community thank you to our #TTOT hosts and organizers: traveldudes, , , , , , and !

Have YOU got anything to add to the "Meeting Strangers" discussion? 

© Connie Hum 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking? Share your thoughts and comments!

Have You Seen These?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...