Just follow the #TTOT hashtag!
Here's the round-up of this week's #TTOT on "Travel Confessions!"
Q1 via @Imnothome1: Tell us your biggest cultural faux-pas!
- @Miss_Starling: Telling a Spanish man I was horny rather than hot (temperature) Whoops
- @hyperren: It may not seem like a big deal, but I always stress about how many air kisses it takes to greet which nationality
- @MashOnEarth: Waved at my friend to come closer with palm up in Thailand. Apparently, it's the way to call a dog. For people - palm down
- @DigitalDiscussn: Car breaking down and asked blokes in pub if they could 'jump me'. They fell off their stools
- @foodieintl: Eating bread with pasta in Italy. I learned my lesson
- @GreenGlobalTrvl: Holding the door for my lady in KwaZulu Natal, where men walk, eat, and drink first
- @KyleGoesGlobal: In Spanish in Mexico, I tried to order a "hot dog" by describing it as a "dog that is hot" - I literally asked for a "horny dog"
- @SandiMcKenna: I am sure I have probably 'LOUD talked' when speaking to someone who didn't understand English thinking it would help
- @Ggnitaly84: Having a cappuccino after noon in Italy, a big no no in the Bel Paese
- @Tactile Travel: Thinking I said grapes when I really said something anatomically obscene in Arabic
Q2 via @Travelogged: What's the most touristy thing you've ever done -- that you loved?
- @travelproducer: I L-O-V-E double decker tour buses and I'm not ashamed to admit it
- @rkerestes: Most touristy thing I've done & loved was climb to the top of Eiffel Tower at night
- @TraveLeadPly: I cried watching the fountains at Bellagio. True story
- @glampacker: Singing Sound of Music songs in Salzburg and poses in Mirabell Gardens
- @reeseeverywhere: I bought (and still keep buying) fridge magnets from places I visit
- @anishahbbc: Blocking narrow paths whilst taking photos - very annoying for busy locals speed-walking to work!
- @TheAlexLop: Getting on a camel in Giza solely for the photo opp. Who doesn't love a cliché Egypt photo?
- @anujap: Wearing Mickey ears at Disneyland
- @melbtravel: Taking a photos holding up the leaning tower of Pisa. I'm sure everyone has one of those photos
Q3 via @worldswaiting: What's the worst thing you ever said while trying to speak a foreign language?
- @HTGlobe: I would like to eat vagina. (cous cous or cuscus in Farsi is vagina) true story
- @airwaysfoodie: I told a Chinese guy I wanted to see his beauty (piao liang) while I meant his ticket (feiji piao)
- @Inga_Ros: I tried to ask for a pregnancy test in a pharmacy in Spain but asked for a business test
- @traveldudes: Someone I've met wanted to order "5 cold beers" in Cambodia, but said: "5 old women". He hit the wrong tones
- @KiltandaCamera: Requested a hard-on instead of a bread roll at the bakery in Brazil
- @LADventurers: In Taiwan recently I said "shee shee" instead of "sher sher" which is "piss piss" instead of thanks
- @melbtravel: When I was working in the States, I would say I loved Hummers the car but not realize that meant an act on a male
- @SuuperG: I said "Get yourself hot" instead of "Shut yourself up" in Spanish to soldiers who were pestering me
- @totoro2222 : Chin Chin! what means "cheers" in some languages, turns out it means penis in Japanese
|I do NOT recommend that you eat balut when you visit the Philippines!|
Q4 via @Nanoz84 What kind of food you have tried during your travels that you won't recommend trying?
- @rkerestes: Durian! Seriously, there's a reason why this fruit is banned from most public places
- @OnTheRoadToYou: Oh god! The smell of Stinky Tofu just does my head in
- @HelenaKBC: Kokoretsi - kind of spit roast entrail thing you eat in Greece at Easter
- @innalameda: Definitely NOT a fan of eating bugs! I don't CARE if they're protein
- @MalloryOnTravel: Anything yak butter derived ..... shuddering just thinking about it
- @SuuperG: Baby eels. After I ordered them (feeling adventurous in Spain) I felt horrible about all the little guys.
- @MyDestination: Rat kebab in Cebu or chickens feet
- @travel_rich: Oysters. Unless you like the feeling of having snot in your mouth. I judge no one
- @ooharradventure: Vegemite. If this can even be called food
Q5 via @ephemerratic: Have you hated a destination that everyone else loves? Where and why?
- @RunawayJuno: Well, not everyone loved, but China. I couldn't handle the Asian-Asian racism
- @Trent_Blomfield: Paris. Its just under whelming. It's all very cliched and try talking to some locals if they even speak to you
- @wetfootprints: Koh Tao in Thailand overcrowded, too Western and generally couldn't wait to leave
- @DeprtureDiaries: Athens. It was dirty, disheveled and disappointing all-around. Maybe my expectations were too high for the historic hotspot
- @ur: Las Vegas. Mostly because of the heat and the expense. Oh and what stays in Vegas never actually stays there
- @AllyMacDee: Tokyo. Concrete jungle, overcrowded, expensive. A group of teens thought we were Americans and told us to 'fluck off' out of Japan
- @lowcostholidays: Venice. Going at peak time was the worst thing. So crowded and extremely expensive. It's a shame when beauty becomes spoiled
- @FreakOutOfTown: Does anyone actually like Los Angeles?
And there you have it, "Travel Confessions!"
Next week's #TTOT topic is: "Road Trip Travels!" Submit your questions HERE!
See you Tuesday at 9:30am and 9:30pm GMT for the next #TTOT!
As always, a HUGE travel community thank you to our #TTOT hosts and organizers: traveldudes, roniweiss, toddwassel, traveldesigned, insidetravellab, WildJunket, tbloggersunite and mobilelawyer!
Have YOU got anything to add to the "Travel Confessions" discussion?
© Connie Hum 2012